YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New Topic Post Reply
[ver 1.2.0.0] Battcursor crashes when win 7 comes out of sleep
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:40:50 PM(UTC)

Hi.
I like your program alot, because I plug and unplug often my Dell Latitude XT on power supply here in Mainz University, and I made battcursor turn off aero and turn power saving mode on when batteries are under 100%. It also turns aero back on as well as high performance profile when plugged in power supply. The cursor is off, as well as sidebar overlay. Tray icon is always on.

So, here is the crash. If I change the source of power while the computer is in (standby) sleep mode, battcursor stops working and diseapears when windows 7 ver 1700 reopens.

Example: 1) At work, battery power, no areo, power saving profile. 2) 17h ô clock, power off system in standby mode, go back home. 3) plug power supply and computer 4) Windows comes back from standby mode 5) Battcursor crashes. 6)Everything else works perfectly. No hangups, no black screen. I can even restart Battcursor and it works well.

Its very reproducible, even the other way around, in the morning: 1) power supply ... 2) standby...3) reopen computer on battery power and 4) Battcursor crashes.

I hope this can help you develop your super program.
Auf Wiedersehen
Philippe
taoiste@yahoo.fr
TommyB Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:30:26 PM(UTC)

Hello,
first of all thanks for your very helpful posting :)

Yes some other users report me randomly crashes (this might be exactly this problem). One of the most bad things is the error reporting dialog won't appear (because of a new feature in win vista / 7). I am currently trying to disable it to get real error messages instread the "stops working" thing. But you provide some nice steps to reproduce, so I might finally be able to get this mistake and eliminate it :)

I keep track on this once I got some free time to work on it. Many thanks for your report :)

Greetings from germany :)

FP:TommyB
Thomas Baumann
BattCursor.Net - Developer
Shotty.Devs-On.Net - Developer
Devs-On.Net - Administrator
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)

When I post FP:TommyB in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 03, 2009 7:30:45 PM(UTC)

Hi Tommy,

I'd just like to add that I am also experiencing this issue with the latest (beta?) 1.2.0.1. I love Battcursor, it is a great program. Thanks for all the hard work behind it. I hope that you can fix this issue in the near future.

Cheers
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:27:43 PM(UTC)

I get a similar error, but mine is that just the OSD for volume stops working. The backlight OSD works but the volume wont show up. This is after the computer sleeps.
TommyB Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:57:47 PM(UTC)

Guest wrote:
... I'd just like to add that I am also experiencing this issue with the latest (beta?) 1.2.0.1. I love Battcursor, it is a great program. Thanks for all the hard work behind it. I hope that you can fix this issue in the near future.

Yepp, 1.2.0.1 is a beta version. This is only available if you allow beta versions for online updates :)
Also I hope I can fix this as soon as possible, too. but at the moment i have to learn for serveral exam's, therefore I haven't as much time as I want to have for my project :\ But of course times will get better, and I work on each free minute on this project :)

Guest wrote:
I get a similar error, but mine is that just the OSD for volume stops working. The backlight OSD works but the volume wont show up. This is after the computer sleeps.

Yes, I have some problems received related to windows 7, but this one sounds really funny, because the procedures for brightness and volume display are the same... But of course I will have a look on it and hopefully fix the problem.
Many thanks for your report :)
Thomas Baumann

When I post FP:TommyB in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 03, 2009 11:26:43 PM(UTC)

Great to hear. Good luck on the exams! As a side note, I'm using Windows 7 too. Hopefully you won't have to spend too much time figuring out the bug with sleep mode and crashes. Thanks again and GutenTag!

#7 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 1:57:59 PM(UTC)

Hi,

Also very happy with your program but experiencing the same problem; almost always crashing when changing power supply mode (both ways).

I'm running the release version of Windows 7 RTM (6.1.7600), official version via MSDN.

Good luck with your exams!

Raymond
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:27:23 PM(UTC)

I also have this problem, but I'm using Windows Vista! :S
Although, as everyone notice, you just start again the program and voila! :)

Thanks for a great program!
memoz Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:32:33 PM(UTC)

Oops, forgot to post what version I'm using... 1.2.0.1, Windows Vista SP2 fully updated... mmm what other info could help you... ram 2 GB. Thanks! :)
#10 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 3:50:29 PM(UTC)

I think i may have a similar problem. Below is the error log i get after awaking notebook computer from sleep using Windows 7.

BattCursor Version: 1.2.0.0
Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0
Processor Count: 2
Architecture: x86

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Invalid hook handle
at BattCursor.Core.GlobalHooks.SetupMouseHook(Boolean Install) in P:\Programmierung\PC\BattCursor\BattCursor\Core\GlobalHooks.vb:line 102
at BattCursor.Core.GlobalHooks.set_MouseHookRequired(Int32 value) in P:\Programmierung\PC\BattCursor\BattCursor\Core\GlobalHooks.vb:line 61
at BattCursor.Core.Backlight.set_Enabled(Boolean value) in P:\Programmierung\PC\BattCursor\BattCursor\Core\Backlight.vb:line 220
at BattCursor.Core.Backlight.OnStatusChanged() in P:\Programmierung\PC\BattCursor\BattCursor\Core\Backlight.vb:line 185
at BattCursor.Core.StatusChangedEventHandler.Invoke()
at BattCursor.Core.RefreshStatusInvoked() in P:\Programmierung\PC\BattCursor\BattCursor\Core\Core.vb:line 174
dconvery Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:56:18 PM(UTC)

Just had it happen with BattCursor 1.2.0.2. System was on battery. I closed the lid to suspend and waked away. A few minutes later, I started it back up and got the error below.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: battcursor.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.2.0.2
Problem Signature 03: 4c51b838
Problem Signature 04: System.Management
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4a275eb2
Problem Signature 07: e0
Problem Signature 08: 3f
Problem Signature 09: System.Management.Management
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
dconvery Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 12:52:41 PM(UTC)

Just happened again. This time I also have an application error dia.log that reads:

Application has generated and exception that could not be handled.

Process ID=0x1530 (5424), Thread ID=0x11e0 (4576)

CobraA1 Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:44:48 PM(UTC)

Code:
Source
BattCursor

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎10/‎12/‎2010 12:20 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Stopped working
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\BattCursor\BattCursor.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01:    battcursor.exe
Problem Signature 02:    1.2.0.2
Problem Signature 03:    4c51b838
Problem Signature 04:    System.Management
Problem Signature 05:    2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06:    4a275eb2
Problem Signature 07:    e0
Problem Signature 08:    3f
Problem Signature 09:    System.Management.Management
OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.11
Locale ID:    1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    1284796671

. . . and I'm gonna leave Process Monitor by Microsoft Sysinternals open whenever I sleep my netbook. Maybe I can find an event that corresponds to the crash. I'd really like to see this issue resolved.
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:16:59 AM(UTC)

Message was deleted by Moderator.
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:44:07 AM(UTC)

same issue as OP. kinda sad that this hasnt been fixed after how many years. release the source if you can't maintain it. if you don't fix issues or release the source for someone else to do it; someone WILL write a replacement and all your effort writing this nice little program with represent nothing.
TommyB Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:48:21 AM(UTC)

For Windows 7 try the beta version I published in this thread. It should be a bit more stable.

Anyway, there are 2 problems that I can't fix.

First of all I don't know why keyboard and mouse hooks getting invalid. Without notification. Nothing. I asked Microsoft already, no response. I asked in msdn forums, no response. On Windows Vista anything works.

Second, some graphic card or driver completely removes the primary screen out of the system if you close the lid. This is another reason why BattCursor may crash, because it can't get the screen resolution anymore. I know some Sony laptops have this stupid behavior (Ati Radeon graphic chipset). I also asked about that, of course without any responses.

Open source. No. Because I know that at least 4 or 5 people will take my source and change the copyright, telling they have created the application. This already happened with Shotty. As I created Shotty it was the only freeware that can create semitransparent screenshots. Only one commercial app had done the same at that time, but it guesses the transparency instead of calculating it. Now there are at least 7 applications that do the same. Some even with my bugs.
Therefore...
Thomas Baumann

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply